Monday, January 25, 2016

Going Green 101 Recycling


green bucket with recycling logo


The easiest and probably the most effective way that you can help the environment is through recycling. There are plenty of item that you can separate from your trash for recycling. By buying plastic bins it is convenient to separate the recyclable from the trash.

The most popular item to recycle is the aluminum cans, from soda and beer. That is not the only cans that are aluminum, just check your can goods. They might not be aluminum but, most can still be recycled. I bought a can crusher at Harbor Freight about 5 or 6 years ago. I can get a lot of aluminum cans in a bin.

Some other items that you can recycle are glass (need to be separated by color), plastic, and cardboard. We used to have newspaper drives when I was going to school in Texas. Please don't forget your CFLs, florescent lighting, paint, batteries and oil, these just create more problems for our great-grand children. (I think that we have done enough damage)

A lot of areas have curb service now. This is great and real easy, in smaller towns I have seen trailers with bins and icons showing what to put in the bin. This is nice but less convenient. Where I live in southern Alabama, they have nothing. I take my metal to a junk yard, and get paid the going price of the day. My oil I take and drop off at Walmart.

Since I replaced all the lighting at my mother with CFLs before I knew that they have Mercury in them, I have a drawer with the CFLs that I have replaced with LEDs. Still looking for a place to take them. I have more than half of the address that google gave me. The ones that I have checked are closed or just land-fills. I only check a couple every time I go to town. I live 15 miles to the nearest WalMart. 15 miles of trees and pastures. And only go to town when I have to. (People drive like total fools here)


Getting Things Started

runners on the mark at starting line
If your community doesn’t offer them you need to see what you can do to get them in place. You can contact your local officials in person or with a letter asking them to consider offering them. Explain your concerns that without such receptacles in place people won’t be encouraged to recycle in your area.

The concept of recycling can extend to your schools and place of employment as well. Do your best to get this important issue recognized everywhere you can. In many instances people just need to be educated and then reminded about the benefits of recycling for our environment.

Your information can motivate them to take part in it. Don’t overlook the importance of letting children know either. They are often very excited by recycling and find it to be thrilling. They can often help encourage their parents to take part in such efforts as well.

Buying products that have been recycled such as paper products is a great way to show your support for these efforts. You will notice some greeting cards are made from them. Even supplies such as napkins used in fast food restaurants can be made from recycled paper.

It is also very simple to carry around a large mesh bag when you are going to shop for a few items. Rather than getting a paper or plastic bag from them you can place your purchased items into your own bag. Look for one that is durable so it you can reuse it over and over again.




Environmental Conservation, The 4 R's - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Respond (video)


Published on Jul 22, 2014
Meet Cady and her friends in the bayou of Louisiana. The environment is changing and Cady wants to know what she can do to help.

Kids Educ



Thank you for reading my post "Going Green 101 Recycling". You might not be able to get your community interested, like mine, but one person does make a difference. Do what you can when you can.

Keep Smiling


No comments:

Post a Comment